Draupadi Murmu is the first tribal woman president of India. Murmu, a tribal leader hailing from Odisha, has been named as the ruling party NDA’s candidate for the Presidential election. Her nomination for the President post was approved at the BJP’s parliamentary board meeting.
On the other hand, Yashwant Sinha, who is the former Union minister, has been pitted against Droupadi Murmu. He is the joint candidate of the Opposition for the Presidential poll that is scheduled to be held on 18th July 2022.
We have listed the highlights of Droupadi Murmu’s life in the following details:
- She was born on 20th June 1958 and hails from the Mayurbhanj district in Odisha.
- She has secured a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree and attended Rama Devi Women’s University.
- She was working as a teacher before making her foray into state politics.
- Her candidature for the Presidential post was considered five years ago when the term of Pranab Mukherjee was getting over.
- She has faced personal losses in her life on account of losing her husband, Shyam Charan Murmu, and two sons. She has one daughter.
- She has been the National Vice President of the BJP’s Scheduled Tribes Morcha
- She was a councillor of the Rairangpur Nagar Panchayat after she won the elections that were held in the year 1997.
- She has held portfolios in the Commerce & Transport department (from 6th March 2000 to 6th August 2002) and the Fisheries & Animal Husbandry department (from 6th August 2002 to 16th May 2004) in the BJP-BJD coalition era when they came into power in the year 2000.
- She was bestowed with the Nilkantha Award for the best MLA by the Odisha Legislative Assembly in the year 2007.
- She has been elected as an MLA two times on BJP tickets. She fought from Rairangpur in the year 2000 and Mayurbhanj in the year 2009.
- She won in the year 2009 on a BJP ticket although the odds were not in favour of her party because of the formidable challenge put up by its estranged partner – BJD.
- The year 2015 saw her being sworn in as the first woman Governor of the Indian state of Jharkhand.
- She was the 9th Governor of Jharkhand and her term lasted from 18th May 2015 to 12th July 2021. She was also the first female tribal leader from Odisha to become the Governor of an Indian state.
- She is expected to become the next President of India since the NDA has 48% votes of the electoral college. Her win will give the BJP’s tribal cause a big boost.
Draupadi Murmu Biography
Draupadi Murmu Personal Life
|Date of birth
|20 June 1958
|Age (as of 2022)
|Place of birth
|Baidaposi , Mayurbhanj, Odisha
|Husband Name / Spouse
|Shyam Charan Murmu (deceased)
|Writing Poem, Reading Book
Draupadi Murmu Political Career
|Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)
- Droupadi Murmu is a of Governor of Jharkhand between 2015- 2021
- Between 2002 and 2009, Draupadi Murmu remained the National Executive Member of the ST Morcha, BJP
- Draupadi Murmu served as a Minister of State in Odisha government
- She served as the District President, Mayurbhanj, BJP
- Droupadi Murmu is a NDA presidential candidate
Draupadi Murmu Physical Appearance
|in Feet Inches – 5’4” | in Meters- 1.63 M
|in Kilograms- 65 Kg | in Pounds- 143 lbs
Draupadi Murmu Family Details
|Biranchi Narayan Tudu
|Daughter: Itishri Murmu (Bank Job)
Son- 2 (deceased)
Draupadi Murmu Education
|Graduate (Bachelor of Arts)
|College / University Name
|Ramadevi Women’s College, Bhubaneswar
Draupadi Murmu Income
|Net Worth (Approx.)
Draupadi Murmu Social Media Profile
| Not Known
| Not Known
Draupadi Murmu Contact Details